Modal verbs worksheet - Exercises
Put the correct modal verb in its correct form combined with the verb in brackets to make deductions. In questions one to 6, try to use a different modal verb in each situation.
Situation : There are five milk bottles on their front door step.
1. They ____________________ (forget) to cancel their milk deliveries.
2. They ____________________ (wake up) yet.
3. There ____________________ (be) some guests staying with them.
Situation : His coat is on the floor.
4. He ____________________ (drop) it.
5. It ____________________ (be) his coat.
6. There ____________________ (be) some logical reason for it!
Put the correct modal verb in its correct form into the gaps.
7. He was very strong; he ____________________ ski all day and dance all night.
8. We ____________________ to borrow umbrellas; so we didn't get wet.
9. I was so far from the stage that I ____________________ see very well.
10. He sees very badly; he ____________________ wear glasses all the time.
11. NOTICE: All dogs ____________________ kept on leads!
12. Farmers ____________________ get up early.
13. You ____________________ drive fast; there is a speed limit here.
14. We ____________________ drive fast; we have plenty of time.
15. They ____________________ get up early; they were on holiday.
Complete these sentences in an appropriate way.
16. I left my bicycle here and now it's gone.
Someone ____________________ (steal) it.
17. I bought two bottles of milk.
You ____________________ (buy) milk; we have loads in the fridge.
18. I have just watered the roses.
You ____________________ (water) them. Look, it's raining now!
Back to modal verbs worksheet
Back to grammar worksheets